Emotional intelligence skills are key for academic and lifelong success. Emotional intelligence skills are often referred to as social emotional learning (SEL) in schools. Social emotional learning is a set of EQ skills and a process for teaching, learning, and practicing these skills. Attention to SEL helps everyone in a school setting develop 21st century skills for deepening awareness, choice, and purpose. SEL helps to create a school climate that is a great place to learn.
Six Seconds is a research and practice organization that supports educators who wish to make SEL part of their school environment. We do this by:
- Conducting research with Six Seconds’ EQ and SEL tools and practices.
- Sharing the latest research from around the world.
- Supporting other researchers through Six Seconds’ grants.
- Providing transformational professional development with ongoing support for SEL.
- Connecting the community of emotional intelligence change makers.
EQ: The Foundation for Learning
Schools with successful SEL programs are safe, engaging and well-managed environments where children can focus on learning. Teaching SEL reduces violence and conflict while creating an atmosphere of trust, engagement, and curiosity. Learn more about EQ
What is Social and Emotional Learning?
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions. Learn More about SEL