Emotional intelligence is a learnable, measurable, scientifically validated skillset that fuels better effectiveness, relationships, wellbeing and quality of life — for adults & children.
Explore the latest articles on making emotional intelligence practical. Below you’ll find simple summaries, plus Six Seconds offers world-class in-person & virtual programs to go deeper (check the calendar).
I want to learn more about emotional intelligence for myself
1. Read the page below to get started & the Get Started with EQ page
2. Sign up for Illuminate (your weekly EQ development guide) and our other awesome free newsletters
3. Take the Brain Brief Profile for insight in your brain and the way you’re currently processing emotional & rational data (and it’s only $10!)
Then, to dive deeper into emotional intelligence, we encourage you to join a free webinar or attend one of our other events or courses – we have free “EQ Cafe” events happening every quarter in over 50 cities around the world.
Emotional intelligence is a learnable, measurable, scientifically validated skillset that predicts better effectiveness, relationships, wellbeing & quality of life for adults and kids… and here is an AMAZING array of resources to grow and use EQ!Click to tweet
I want expert help to use EQ to increase value in my organization
There are a lot of people talking about emotional intelligence — but how do you actually create value with it? Since 1997, Six Seconds has been the world-wide pioneer to leverage EQ for a simple value chain:
Improved EQ skills > Better interactions at work > Improved relationships with stakeholders > Higher value
Read our introduction to EQ in Business to understand the methodology and tools that make this measurable and scalable. It’s why organizations from Amazon to Astra Zenica (and a whole lot in between) use Six Seconds’ experts and resources. To go further:
1. Explore the powerful case studies on EQ improving performance
2. Get the free eBook on emotional intelligence strategies in learning & development
3. Contact us and we’ll work with you on internal EQ certification, and/or connect you with one of our awesome Partners or a member of our vast network of certified professionals who can best assist you.
Emotions drive people, and people drive performance. Six Seconds shows the world how with proven tools and methods to increase value with emotional intelligenceClick to tweet
I want effective tools & methods to bring EQ to my clients
Six Seconds offers a complete range of certification training to support independent and internal consultants, trainers, coaches, and L&D/OD professionals become more effective as change leaders. We offer a full range of in-depth train-the-trainer certification programs to become an EQ practitioner, educator, or and/or coach.
Six Seconds blends rigorous science with practical application — providing you with a truly robust toolset. If you want to understand how Six Seconds is different from all the rest, just browse the site… see some recent research or read the case studies. We’re all about putting EQ into action — everywhere, all the time.
After Unlocking EQ, here are some options:
a powerful emotional intelligence test would help me work more effectively with clients:
The EQ Assessor Certification teaches you to use a robust system of emotional intelligence profiles and tests as a tool for creating positive change.
Option 1: EQACI 1-1 is flexible, get started any time, work from your desk with a mentor.
Option2: EQAC is an in-depth training held regularly around the world
looking to create value by focusing on the people-side of performance:
Or see the upcoming event schedule for the VS blended program, 2-days in person plus virtual followup.
seeking a whole toolkit to use to practice emotional intelligence — for myself and my clients/students/team members:
The EQ Practitioner Certification is our flagship program, participants say it’s life-changing, and provides an extensive and practical toolkit. Check the upcoming event calendar – this program runs several times a year, all over the world.
I want to improve my school / university with social emotional learning
Six Seconds will show you why and how to integrate EQ into education. Get started on this topic with an intro to EQ education.
The site has an extensive collection of articles on EQ in Education – to start…
- For an overview, here’s an interview with two of our experts on EQ in education
- A speech given by our founder, “Emotional Intelligence – The Cornerstone of Positive Change.”
- On a lighter note, to share with elementary students, check out this delightful series of articles by our CEO: Smarter About Feelings
Self-Science is the approach to SEL that started Six Seconds, one of the two methods Daniel Goleman recommended as models in his 1995 book, Emotional Intelligence. The “Self-Science – Getting Started with SEL” kit is available from the EQ Store.
To get trained in Six Seconds’ methods, you can either:
Join an EQ certification training — we have a special EQ Tools for Educators course — or many educators join the EQ Certification for an immersion into EQ.
Contact us — and we’ll be glad to help you and, if you’d like, recommend a consultant
What’s the best way to get started growing my emotional intelligence?
name your feelings
There are over 3000 words for feelings in English. How many are you feeling now? Probably several!
Tune into what’s happening inside. Draw a picture. Use words. Find metaphors.
Often it seems as if, “I have no choice.” What if you have a TON of options, but you haven’t thought of them yet? Each day is a chance to try out a new way of responding.
see the WHY
Your choices matter. You choose your thoughts, your feelings, your actions… and that changes the world around you. What’s the effect you want to have? If you have a clear picture of where you want to go, you’ll make much more effective decisions.
Do you want to put EQ into action?
Tips for Emotional Intelligence
Doing these three steps consistently is a challenge… and raises the question: What skills can I practice so that I can do this process more effectively? Through our research and experience, we developed a set of eight specific, learnable skills that make the process work. Here is a detailed article about this model including an explantation of the eight competencies, and links for many tips.
Here are a few ideas to get started. First, remember it’s a CYCLE. We might not have the perfect awareness or identify the exact right choice, but as we go around and around this process, it gets easier!
- Everyone has feelings – all the time. What are yours? Not just the obvious ones, but the ones hiding in the background?
- Remember that emotions are data. They’re chemical signals to help us handle threats and opportunities.
- This page has a whole bunch more tips & exercises for self-awareness.
- When a situation just starts to heat up, “press the pause button.” Take a big breathe. Get some water. Say, “Let me think about this for a moment.” There are very few situations that actually require an instant reaction.
- Remember you have many options. Sometimes it’s hard to see those. You can change your thoughts, engage new feelings, experiment with new actions. You might not have “the perfect solution,” but you do have possibilities!
- For more ideas about Choose Yourself, read these tips and activities for self-management.
- There’s always more to the story. When people do or say something annoying, get curious: What’s really going on here?
- Your choices matter. The way you respond affects others and affects you — so you affect the future. What’s the effect you want to have?
- For more on this, here are tips and activities for living a purpose driven life.
Read the introduction to the Six Seconds Model of Emotional Intelligence. It will explain the 3 steps in more detail, and then introduce the eight competencies.
Here is an overview of the history, “Dr. Daniel Goleman on the Origins of Emotional Intelligence” — and a more in-depth article on the origins of EQ “Emotional WHAT? Definitions & History of EQ“
Thoughts, Feelings, Actions
One of the most powerful ways to put emotional intelligence into action is to learn the difference between thoughts, feelings, and actions — and how these three interact and affect us. They’re all important, but they are different.
Read the Get Started with EQ page for more about what it is, and how you can “practice” emotional intelligence.