What is Burnout?
Burnout is a state of emotional, physical, and mental exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress. It occurs when you feel overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to meet constant demands.
What are the burnout signs?
Signs of burnout include:
- Physical and emotional exhaustion
- Depersonalization / detachment / cynicism
- Decline in sense of personal accomplishment
What causes burnout?
Burnout is caused by:
- a perceived lack of control or autonomy
- feeling of insufficient reward or recognition
- a perceived lack of social support / community
- feeling a shortage of meaning / purpose
How does Emotional Intelligence Help with Burnout?
Since the causes of burnout are rooted in emotional needs, leveraging emotional intelligence helps to address and reduce the underlying causes of burnout. As burnout increases, it’s time to leverage emotional intelligence to build that sense of autonomy, connect with feelings of appreciation, strengthen support, and use emotions to fuel meaning & purpose.