name your feelings
There are over 3000 words for feelings in English. How many are you feeling now? Probably several!
Tune into what’s happening inside. Draw a picture. Use words. Find metaphors.
Often it seems as if, “I have no choice.” What if you have a TON of options, but you haven’t thought of them yet? Each day is a chance to try out a new way of responding.
see the WHY
Your choices matter. You choose your thoughts, your feelings, your actions… and that changes the world around you. What’s the effect you want to have? If you have a clear picture of where you want to go, you’ll make much more effective decisions.
Tips for Emotional Intelligence
Doing these three steps consistently is a challenge… and raises the question: What skills can I practice so that I can do this process more effectively? Through our research and experience, we developed a set of eight specific, learnable skills that make the process work. Here is a detailed article about this model including an explantation of the eight competencies, and links for many tips.
Here are a few ideas to get started. First, remember it’s a CYCLE. We might not have the perfect awareness or identify the exact right choice, but as we go around and around this process, it gets easier!
- Everyone has feelings – all the time. What are yours? Not just the obvious ones, but the ones hiding in the background?
- Remember that emotions are data. They’re chemical signals to help us handle threats and opportunities.
- This page has a whole bunch more tips & exercises for self-awareness.
- When a situation just starts to heat up, “press the pause button.” Take a big breathe. Get some water. Say, “Let me think about this for a moment.” There are very few situations that actually require an instant reaction.
- Remember you have many options. Sometimes it’s hard to see those. You can change your thoughts, engage new feelings, experiment with new actions. You might not have “the perfect solution,” but you do have possibilities!
- For more ideas about Choose Yourself, read these tips and activities for self-management.
- There’s always more to the story. When people do or say something annoying, get curious: What’s really going on here?
- Your choices matter. The way you respond effects others, and effects you — so you effect the future. What’s the effect you want to have?
- For more on this, here are tips and activities for living a purpose driven life.
Read the introduction to the Six Seconds Model of Emotional Intelligence. It will explain the 3 steps in more detail, and then introduce the eight competencies.
Here is an overview of the history, “Dr. Daniel Goleman on the Origins of Emotional Intelligence” — and a more in-depth article on the origins of EQ “Emotional WHAT? Definitions & History of EQ“
Thoughts, Feelings, Actions
One of the most powerful ways to put emotional intelligence into action is to learn the difference between thoughts, feelings, and actions — and how these three interact and affect us. They’re all important, but they are different.
Read the Get Started with EQ page for more about what it is, and how you can “practice” emotional intelligence.
What’s Your EQ Goal?
Six Seconds provides tons of free information and inspiration translating the latest research on emotional intelligence and neuroscience to make it useable in daily life.
We publish world class assessments for adults and children and for organizations and schools. Then we teach “practitioners” how to use these tools and our transformational methodology.
In our network, certified practitioners and our preferred partners work with individuals, businesses, schools, families, and most everyone to bring the benefits of emotional intelligence into daily life.
Click one of the tabs above for links to learn more – or read more about Six Seconds here.
6seconds.org has a ton(!) of articles and resources, we hope you’ll explore. To start…
Read the Get Started with EQ page
Browse the articles & blogs
Take the Brain Brief Profile for insight in your brain and the way you’re currently processing emotional & rational data (and it’s under $10!)
To dive into emotional intelligence, we encourage you to attend an event or course – we have free “EQ Cafe” events happening every quarter in over 50 cities around the world.
How do I bring EQ into my company?
- Introduction to EQ in Business
- Case studies of EQ in organizational performance
- Six Seconds’ methodology for business
- If you’d like to learn more about your own EQ as a leader, take the SEI-LR and get a 1-1 debrief
To go further, integrate Six Seconds’ tools & methods into your organization.
- Organizational & team climate + leadership assessment: Vital Signs
- Individual EQ assessment suite: SEI
- Six Seconds’ Methodology: The EQ Certification
Six Seconds offers a complete range of certification training to support independent and internal consultants, trainers, coaches, and L&D/OD professionals become more effective as change leaders. We offer a full range of in-depth train-the-trainer certification programs to become an EQ practitioner, educator, or and/or coach.
Six Seconds blends rigorous science with practical application — providing you with a truly robust toolset. If you want to understand how Six Seconds is different from all the rest, just browse the site… see some recent research or read the case studies. We’re all about putting EQ into action — everywhere, all the time.
Here are some options:
a powerful emotional intelligence test would help me work more effectively with clients:
The EQ Assessor Certification teaches you to use a robust system of emotional intelligence profiles and tests as a tool for creating positive change.
Option 1: EQACI 1-1 is flexible, get started any time, work from your desk with a mentor.
Option2: EQAC is an in-depth training held regularly around the world
looking to create value by focusing on the people-side of performance:
Or see the upcoming event schedule for the VS blended program, 2-days in person plus virtual followup.
seeking a whole toolkit to use to practice emotional intelligence — for myself and my clients/students/team members:
The EQ Certification is our flagship program, participants say it’s life-changing, and provides an extensive and practical toolkit. Check the upcoming event calendar – this program runs several times a year, all over the world.
One of the most powerful ways to teach children the skills of emotional intelligence is to practice them as a parent. It’s a challenge – but a joyful one. When you practice EQ, you get insight into what’s driving you and your kid(s), and become much more able to respond thoughtfully (versus react thoughtlessly).
Six Seconds will show you why and how to integrate EQ into education. Get started on this topic with an intro to EQ education.
The site has an extensive collection of articles on EQ in Education – to start…
- For an overview, here’s an interview with two of our experts on EQ in education
- A speech given by our founder, “Emotional Intelligence – The Cornerstone of Positive Change.”
- On a lighter note, to share with elementary students, check out this delightful series of articles by our CEO: Smarter About Feelings
Self-Science is the approach to SEL that started Six Seconds, one of the two methods Daniel Goleman recommended as models in his 1995 book, Emotional Intelligence. The “Self-Science – Getting Started with SEL” kit is available from the EQ Store.
To get trained in Six Seconds’ methods, you can either:
Join an EQ certification training — we have a special EQ Tools for Educators course — or many educators join the EQ Certification for an immersion into EQ.
Contact us — and we’ll be glad to help you and, if you’d like, recommend a consultant