What is Transformational Leadership?
Transformational leadership means engaging people to build a context for ongoing growth and learning. It’s about building capacity for performance.
Is leadership about “getting things done” (tasks) or about engaging people to build a high performing culture (process)? In a task-focused world, it’s easy to think leadership is about DOING. But when it comes to transformational leadership, the impact comes more from BEING.
What Are the Essential Leadership Qualities?
Researching the emotional intelligence leadership qualities that make transformational leaders excel, a large scale study identified an essential ingredient is “focused empathy,” a combination of caring about people and performance.
A ten-year study on leadership qualities for high performance found five drivers are the key elements of transformational leadership. These are measured by the Leadership Vital Signs test, a 360 or multi-rater tool that maps to this model shown to the right with five top leadership qualities that, together, form a definition of transformational leadership.
- Trust: Transformational leaders set a context of safety, in which…
- Motivation: People are driven by long-term purpose,
- Change: They are adaptable,
- Teamwork: They collaborate to achieve more than they can individually, and
- Execution: They focus on what’s important and get it done.