Professionals committed to ongoing development to build true expertise in emotional intelligence know that ongoing learning is essential. In a domain with rapidly evolving science and practice, where do you turn to find training that will add value to your work?
The Six Seconds’ accredited continuing education (ACE) courses below are selected for their relevance, robust design, and the experience of the facilitators. Six Seconds’ Certified Practitioners need 12 ACE units per year for certification renewal.
EQ Accredited Continuing Education
SEI EQ Competency Combinations
Power up Your Assessor toolkit/expertise, and Complete a 3-step Practice + Self Reflection Process that you will learn in the workshop – a great take away to use with your clients!
Next course date: Wednesday, 8 Februrary 2017
Action process for going deeper with SEI
What are the EQ combos? What do they reveal? How do I use them? How do they POWER up my expertise?
Participants: EQ Assessors looking to go deeper on utilizing the SEI for guiding action. (Prerequisite: SEI Certification)
As a result of attending this 90-minute interactive, web-based session, led by EQ Practitioners – certified Assessors, Advanced EQ Trainers and EQ Consultants from Dynamic Learning, you will be able to:
- Define and identify combos
- Understand the deeper insight they provide into the SEI participant’s results – bringing clients to an unprecedented level of Aha!
- Create powerful debriefing and coaching questions that you can use during the SEI debrief/coaching sessions
- Be more confident to connect more powerfully with clients
Course Date(s) & registration: Wednesday, 8 February 2017
- Option 1: 10:00 -11:30 am Dubai time
- Option 2: 6:00 – 7:30 pm Dubai time
To register, email Gertrude Masuku <[email protected]>
Instructional Methods: 90-minute live online learning plus prework and practical application + written reflection.
Assessment Procedures: Written reflection of the process due 1 month of completing the course; details below.
Accredited: 3 CEUs; completion requirements:
- complete pre-reading and 90-minute on-line session
submit a 2 page (1,000 word) reflective journal, including the following:
- Identify combos within 2 SEI reports you are currently, or have recently, debriefed/coached
- Identify the insight provided into the SEI participant’s strengths and obstacles, per each combo and reflect on this learning
- Discuss how you applied the insight during the debrief/coaching, or how you would apply the insight if you were to conduct that debrief/coaching again
- Provide the probing/coaching questions you created as a result of the insight
- Provide your reflection on your performance as an assessor, the quality of the session you conducted
- Provide your learnings from this exercise, both personally and professionally
- Reflective journal is due February 25, 2017
- The reflective journal should not contain details regarding the clients, in order to maintain confidentiality
- You will receive the feedback about your journal within 10 working days from the submission date
*Note: the 1,000 words should be split between the 2 debriefs
Learning the Six Seconds Way
Over twenty years of research advances in neuroscience confirm that emotions drive learning
How can we leverage the power of emotions to increase learning?
Next course starts: March 16, 2017
Action process for going deeper with SEI
This course will enable practitioners to strengthen the effectiveness of the design and delivery of their learning modules. It is applicable to instructors in any setting, whether working within K-12 settings, or with parents, universities, or corporate learning and development.
“I will ask myself how I am feeling, as it is too easy to just be a robot in our fast-paced world. I will listen more and observe more carefully. I will keep in mind that every brain is unique . . . and that everyone has strengths and weaknesses. And, I will be sure to laugh more” (Student after experiencing Six Seconds learning)
This course helps participants to infuse EQ into curriculum development to achieve more effective training.
Participants: Anyone working to teach EQ (EQ Practitioners)
Learning Objectives. EQ practitioners will deepen their ability to use Six Seconds’ methodology to create powerful learning by:
- Creating learning experiences that consistently utilize humor, multi-modalities, interactivity, and choice;
- Applying techniques to build positive, collaborative relationships between facilitators and learners as they increase trust, optimism, and empathy;
- Focusing on key social emotional needs by careful interpretation of participants’ Brain Profiles;
- Increasing learner engagement through application of constructivist learning theory, wherein students create their own interpretation, meaning, and understanding of experience;
- Strengthening the power of learning by “stirring in” emotion when developing and testing a new learning module/lesson.
Fee: Suggested donation of $100 to Six Seconds’ scholarship fund
Course Date(s) & registration: Mar 16, 23, 30 — 9:00 am Pacific (click here for world clock times)
Instructional Methods: Three online 60 minute sessions + 1 hour pre-coursework to take SEI Assessment and readings + 1 hour post Session to create learning experience.
As noted in learning objective #3 above, participants will take the SEI assessment and receive their own Brain Profiles, which they will analyze to deepen their practice of teaching and learning.
Participants will also receive materials including:
Excerpt from Anabel Jensen’s new book on learning
Excerpt from Josh Freedman’s Heart of Leadership book
Selected articles on learning
The Six Seconds learning design template (Bonus!)
Assessment Procedures: Participants in this course will create a lesson suitable for a class or a workplace presentation using the Learning philosophy, template, and methods discussed in class. The workshop, lesson, or activity may be presented in lesson plan format (maximum 2 pages) or slides for a presentation (maximum 20 slides). Written feedback will be provided by the instructors.
Accredited: 6 CEUs; completion requirements:
- take the SEI assessment and do the preparation prework
- attend three online classes
- complete the implementation project of developing a lesson / module as described above
How to sell bigger and better solutions to your EQ clients
One of the most difficult challenges that speakers, trainers and coaches encounter is the ability to win repeated opportunities, let alone, build long-term sustainability in their business.
Next course date: Starts April 4
How can you use EQ in your sales approach to sell EQ?
Participants: Certified EQ or VS Assessors, Practitioners, Trainers and Coaches who are about to start in the business or are already selling to an established clientele base; and looking to enhance the ability to sell EQ solutions in a bigger and better way. .
- Create what compelling value looks like in the eyes of the client
- Get more long term EQ project clients
- Build and offer a multi-layered solution to extend your contract size
- Differentiate yourself and offer more than what others can
- Be recognized as an expert of your industry and increase the client’s commitment to working with you
- Cross sell and upsell your Six Seconds-powered EQ solutions
Instructional Methods: three 90-minute live online learning sessions on Zoom, plus prework and practical assignments to put the learning into action.
- Session One :
- Target marketing techniques to position your niche and getting focused clients
- 3 key ways to show up as an Expert and Consultant in your field
- Session Two :
- RIRO method in creating needs and sense of urgency to increase opportunities
- Frame-working & learning journey mapping in developing and packaging multilayered EQ solutions & tools
- Session Three :
- Presentation & proposal mechanics in communicating your value proposition
- Tracking & measurement systems to provide ROI based approach to increase client’s willingness to spend
- Completion of a business & solutions assessment profile ( after 1st session) to identify opportunities and gaps based on a template for coaching business clients, with feedback from facilitator.
- Submission of Framework & Solution Design assignment (after 2nd session) using a solution blueprint design (the “killer slide”) taught in the course — with feedback from facilitator.
- Creation of solution proposal displaying competence in applying learned skills from program (with 45 days after 3rd session).
This is a multi-slide powerpoint detailing a comprehensive solution proposal that participants will use for their business. Feedback will be given.
Facilitator: Ray Phoon is an Author, Sales Psychologist, CEO of The PowerUpSuccess Group (a Six Seconds Preferred Partner), Regional director of Sales & Marketing Institute International and an active 6 Seconds preferred partner & practitioner.
Accredited: 9 CEUs; completion requirements:
- complete pre-reading
- attend three 90-minute on-line session
- submit the three assessment assignments using templates provided, detailed above
Leading Schools with Heart and Mind
Apply EQ Skills to Improving Schools
Researchers have found that leaders with Emotional Intelligence (EQ) make better decisions, influence more effectively, and build communities where young people thrive. Leading Schools with Heart and Mind teaches these EQ skills, so school leaders can become more aware, more intentional, and more purposeful.
Next course date: July-August, 2017
Strengthen your leadership to create change
Leading Schools with Heart and Mind is a research-based training program for aspiring and veteran school leaders (principals, assistant principals, lead teachers, and others working in education leadership positions), that uses the SEI and LVS self report to help participants learn and develop their Emotional Intelligence and increase leadership effectiveness.
Participants: If you are trying to lead any change initiative at your school or educational organization, this course is for you. Simple. Relevant. Applicable.
Learning Objectives. During this introductory course, participants will:
- Reflect on current leadership performance and define who they are as leaders.
- Examine how their emotional intelligence skills are currently supporting their leadership effectiveness.
- Identify and practice strategies to increase trust in their school communities.
- Design a planned change process to increase leadership capacity.
Course Date(s) & registration: July-August 2017. To register, please go to https://www.eventbrite.com/e/leading-schools-with-heart-and-mind-tickets-30538087241
Instructional Methods: The course features 3 on-line group sessions (60 min/each), which will engage participants in individual reflection, practical exercises and group sharing. In addition, participants will take the LVS self-report and SEI (if refresher is needed) and will be individually debriefed by the course leader.
Assessment Procedures: Participants will develop an action plan to increase leadership capacity with feedback from the course leader, and will share progress within 3 months of completing the course.
Facilitator: Lorea Martinez, PhD, is an Advanced EQ Practitioner with Six Seconds and an Education Consultant supporting schools with Social Emotional Learning (SEL) programs. She received the 2014 Graduate Student Award for Excellence in SEL Research from the American Education Research Association (AERA). A former special and general education teacher, administrator and data analyst., Lorea is passionate about creating supportive learning communities through emotional intelligence. Her latest research, EQ skills for effective school leadership, will be presented at the 2017 AERA Annual Conference. For more info, see loreamartinez.com
Accredited: 7 CEUs; completion requirements:
- attend 3 on-line sessions
- participate in individual debrief
- complete two homework assignments
- design an action plan to integrate learning
Dive into a Six Seconds Webinar
Synthesize your learning and put it into action
Next course date: Monthly, see upcoming webinar schedule
Go deeper with the Six Seconds team
Six Seconds offers free webinars almost every month; these can be used for ACE units following the requirements below.
Participants: Six Seconds Practitioners.
- Synthesize key concept from webinar
- Apply the concept
- Reflect on key learnings
Course Date(s) & registration: Flexible dates. To register for upcoming webinars, see 6seconds.eventbrite.com (or for Italian see https://www.eventbrite.it/o/six-seconds-7939088307)
Instructional Methods: Attend webinar live or carefully listen to recording. Then, post in the Six Seconds Facebook Group the key point you are taking from this webinar and an action step based on this learning.
Complete the action step, then, post a final reflection on what happened.
Assessment Procedures: Participants will identify a specific action step and then post a reflection on the results of applying that action.
Accredited: 2 CEUs; completion requirements:
Pursue Your EQ Passion Project
Engage with Six Seconds to spread the practice of emotional intelligence
Next course date: Flexible, apply any time
Expand your EQ expertise in a hands-on project
Are you involved in a project with Six Seconds where you’re developing EQ expertise as you apply your learning? Earn ACE units for practical projects that are serving the Six Seconds community and mission — such as conducting a research study, or helping to lead one of Six Seconds’ global community events.
Participants: Six Seconds Practitioners involved in a project with Six Seconds
- Develop an implementation plan
- Take action to make the plan happen
- Reflect on key learnings
Fee: $100 to process application & assessment for CEUs
Course Date(s) & registration: Flexible dates. To register, email David Tubley <[email protected]> with a bullet-point plan of your project:
- What is the purpose of the project?
- What Six Seconds tools or methods you will be applying?
- Approximately how many hours of work is included?
- How will you demonstrate completion of your project / what will be assessed?
Instructional Methods: Independent projects focus on practical applications based on participants’ work.
Assessment Procedures: Participants will develop a plan including a method to demonstrate their completion.
Facilitator: none / ACE assessment will be provided by David Tubley, ACE Coordinator
Accredited: Units awarded will depend on scope of project and will be defined after application is reviewed; completion requirements:
- submit plan for approval along with application fee
- complete requirements outlined in plan
- submit documentation of completion
Six Seconds’ Certification Training
Develop expertise with research-proven tools & methods
Next course date: See the certification schedule
Get certified or refresh to go deeper
All Six Seconds Certification training courses provide ACE units.
Participants: Professionals seeking proven tools and methods to create value with emotional intelligence.
Learning Objectives: Practitioners re-attend to go refresh, and to go deeper in the methodology by experiencing the program from a new perspective. Six Seconds’ most experienced facilitators re-attend certifications on a regular basis to immerse in the process. If you hold an active certification from any Six Seconds course, you are invited to re-attend the same course for a nominal fee — anywhere in the world.
Accredited: 12 CEUs by either:
- Attend a new certification and complete course requirements, or
- Re-attend a certification and post an in-depth (200-500 word) reflection about your experience in the Six Seconds Facebook Group (or share with your course group if you don’t use Facebook)