Let’s break it down: What is emotional intelligence and why does it matter? How does this make a difference in my life at work, school, home?
Next week is our 3rd annual free online conference, EQ Week. To make the most of the program, here’s a quick intro to emotional intelligence (EQ) — and how this incredible program of free webinars and resources will help you create positive change.
Emotional Intelligence 101: Accurate with Data
What do you mean when you call someone “intelligent”? Probably they’re quickly able to grasp information and use it to solve problems. There are different forms of intelligence tied to different kinds of data and problems.
For example, we use mathematical intelligence to solve math problems. If we have a high “MQ,” we can accurately read and use numerical data to do algebra, or engineer a bridge, or to balance a checkbook.
What about “people challenges,” such as communicating, or influencing, or even making a careful decision? What kind of data is involved in these situations? Maybe words, maybe also numbers… and certainly: Emotions.
During EQ Week, several experts from around the world will share more of these essentials. Here are a few:
- 11am Mar 10 Katherine Roff: EQ Patterns and Pathways. Quickly track and train your emotional responses.
- 1pm Mar 12 Paul Stillman: Measuring and Increasing Engagement. What are the drivers of organizational performance, and how can they be quantified?
- 6pm Mar 12 Matt Perelstein: EQ-101: Taking Control of your Feelings and Emotions. What are the basic steps to emotional intelligence?
Note: All the times on this page are Pacific (San Francisco) time. Click the times for a world clock!
Why Emotional Intelligence Matters
As life becomes more complex, we have to juggle more. More demands on our time. More people’s needs. More emotions. Research suggests that one of the key benefits of emotional intelligence is that it helps people “surf on the edge of chaos.” Instead of getting overwhelmed by the complexity, EQ skills help us manage it.
Here’s a webinar where we’re share the very latest research:
- 7am Mar 10 Max Ghini & Josh Freedman: State of the Heart Report. What’s the data on the status of emotional intelligence in the world today?
EQ in Personal Life
In our lives as individual, parents, partners, we do a lot of that “emotional juggling.” Here are a few EQ Webinars that will help:
- 8am Mar 10 Deborah Havert: Building Resiliency One EQ Step at a Time. How to teach and practice this essential skill.
- 3am Mar 13 Liz Cunningham: Emotions for Growth. In a time of accelerating complexity, how can tuning into emotions help us do what we REALLY mean to do?
- 11am Mar 14 Marc-Andre Oliver: Making Others Good. We have a simple choice about how we evaluate others — and it changes everything. Here’s how.
- 9am Mar 15 Michele Royan: Redefining Success. What does it mean to succeed? It turns out that our definition transforms the way we experience life — and parenting.
EQ in Business
A great deal of research shows that organizations gain tremendous competitive advantage by developing emotional intelligence. One key reason is that the vast majority of people in most organizations are either “hanging out” or actively disengaged; over the last 10+ years of research by Gallup, well under 30% of employees are actively engaged (fully committed). On the other hand, leaders with higher emotional intelligence are far better at connecting with their people and creating a great employee experience.
The same, of course, applies to customer experience. Sales and service people and managers who have high EQ skills are better able to understand and connect with customers.
Here are a few of the many EQ Week webinars on these themes:
- 10pm Mar 10 Melkart Rouhana: The DNA of Organizational Culture: How emotions enable service excellence.
- 1am Mar 11 Maria Olsson-Bitschnau: HOW and WHY EQ Coaching works in business and leads to positive change.
- 5am Mar 11 Jonathan Low: Unlocking Customer Service with EQ. How can managers engage team members to create a GREAT customer experience?
- 3pm Mar 14 Kevin Dunal: Quantifying Culture. Can you put “Human Capital” on the corporate dashboard? How does this drive innovation, engagement, and profit?
- 4pm Mar 14 Ray Phoon: Mastering EQ for High Impact Selling. How do you use emotions to connect strongly to customers?
EQ in School
Imagine you’re about 12 years old and preparing to take an important exam tomorrow. Then you have a HUGE argument with the person you thought was your best friend. And, your parents scold you for not cleaning your room. And, you try to ask for help, but your teacher is way to busy and tells you to figure it out for yourself.
Will you do your best work on the test tomorrow?
Students, teachers, leaders, and parents all have a role in navigating the complexities of school life, and supporting young people to thrive. There’s a host of fabulous webinars on these themes, including:
- 4pm Mar 10 Lucy Richards: App-Based Mindfulness for Young People, Smiling Mind. Tech-enabled of process of calm, clarity and contentment.
- 8pm Mar 11 Mike Sissel: EQ for Tweens and Teens. Developing new “lenses” helps young people see the world (and themselves) so they thrive.
- 7am Mar 13 Candice Smith: We Teach Who We Are. How do we we recognize who we are, what holds us back and how to transcend these to empower those we teach?
- 7pm Mar 13 Susan Stillman: iSEL – Collaborating to Teach Social Emotional Learning. How is this unique, free online course helping teachers?
- 11am Mar 15 Stacey Burnard: The SEL Lens of Self-Regulation. How do we help students, our children, and ourselves find that elusive calm?
EQ in Action
At Six Seconds, The Emotional Intelligence Network, our vision is that by 2039 a billion people will be practicing the skills of emotional intelligence. It will change the world.
But awareness isn’t enough. It’s not enough to be “intelligent,” we need to use it, to put emotional intelligence into action. How? Here are a few webinars that will show you:
- 2am Mar 11 Dexter Valles: EQ TALES. How can a story to help you build influence and resilience?
- Noon Mar 11 Jenny Wiley: Choose Yourself Toolkit. Resources to move out of reaction and back into balance.
- 8am Mar 12 Lea Brovedani: The Anatomy of Trust. How do we our whole selves, mind, body, and spirit, to understand and build trust?
- 8am Mar 14 Max Ghini & Anabel Jensen: Breakthrough Competencies for The Future. If you could ensure your employees – and students – learned just a few key skills, what would you choose?
To help with this all important step of putting EQ into action, each day during EQ Week, we’ll send out an email with free downloads — activities, handouts, podcasts — and even whole ebooks! To access these goodies, sign up at the bottom of the EQ Week agenda page.
The EQ Week conference is 100% free — all you need is an internet connection.
Join the webinars live to interact with the speakers and participants. You can also register to receive the recording of each session — and they’ll be available free online for a month!
Latest posts by Joshua Freedman (see all)
- Can You Show Real Business Value from Emotional Intelligence? - June 28, 2016
- World Refugee Day: We All Need Refuge - June 8, 2016
- Seeking Refuge: Global Collaboration - April 29, 2016