1 Billion for Emotional Intelligence: Are you in?

We think the world would be a better place if 1 billion people were practicing the skills of emotional intelligence.

What would happen?

You are essential to making this vision reality — here’s what we want to do together:

1-billon-EQ

We were talking about goals, and you know the risk of that discussion?

Anabel Jensen, Six Seconds’ President, said:  “By my 100th birthday, I want a billion people practicing EQ!”  For months, this idea kept coming back in our discussions — and at the start of 2013, we adopted it as Six Seconds’ vision.  Then the questions started.  “Who are the billion?”  “What does it mean to practice?”  “How do we count?”  “How do we support them?”

In August, our Board met and formally adopted a new strategy to build a network capable of reaching the vision.

Here are 3 key actions:

network-share1. Share What Works

Six Seconds’ mission is supporting people to create positive change, everywhere, all the time.  As a nonprofit organization, our core work is the space between research and practice — about discovering & innovating what works to create positive change — and sharing that.  R&D and sharing has been at our core for 15 years.  We’re focusing here.

We’ll continue to publish powerful tools and run certification trainings to show people how to use these robust tools and methods.

The Center for Innovative Management will become the resource center of “what works” in creating thriving organizations.  The Center for Social Emotional Learning is your resource center for how to implement emotional intelligence in education, fueled by research at our lab school, Synapse.  These centers, through a network of Fellows, will drive research and sharing of best practices.

For business, government, and education organizations looking for consulting and training using these methods, we’ll refer those projects to our growing Preferred Partner Network and Certified Network

network-join2. Support People to Practice

Starting in 2014, you will be invited to join Six Seconds as a member.  This will provide you with special resources, insights, connections — and many opportunities to put EQ into practice.

Together, we’ll launch projects to share EQ, and to practice EQ together.  For example, in January the network will launch iSEL, a virtual course aimed to introduce social emotional learning to 25,000 new teachers.  Easy to imagine how that would both create real value for positive change — and give all of us more chances to practice our EQ skills in real-play.

Ready to join?

network-support

3. Engage Change Makers

To make the network amazingly powerful, we need to blend the rich virtual experiences we’ve created (such as the annual Emotions Festival coming again March 10-16) with real-world connections.

To establish a network that can truly support a billion people, we need many many more “hubs.”  So in addition to Members, we’ve created two additional roles:

Regional Network Directors are leading Six Seconds around the world.  Their mission:  To engage EQ change makers.  Here is a list-in-process of the Regional Network Directors.

EQ Champions are “connectors” building local groups of members.  We’re now in the pilot phase, testing “EQ Meetups” in several locations around the globe.  We’ll be asking active members to step up to this role.

We’ll share much more about this, but in the meantime, please post your comments and questions!

About the author - Joshua Freedman

Joshua is one of the world’s preeminent experts on developing emotional intelligence to create positive change. With warmth and authenticity, he translates leading-edge science into practical, applicable terms that improve the quality of relationships to unlock enduring success. Joshua leads the world’s largest network of emotional intelligence practitioners and researchers.

Comments for this article (42)

• Eileen says:

Hi Josh, I am so excited in this. I have actually worked out a program working with elementary school children and am very thrilled to be able to say that there have been positive feedback from parents about how they can see a healthier home environment.

• not to be too picky at all but i just posted this to my FB page and it might carry more weight if you changed it to ‘A world’ as opposed to ‘AN world’. ye olde spelling intelligence as well as emotional intelligence. :-)

• What a beautiful and worthwhile vision Joshua! I will do whatever I am able to make it come true.

Harvey

• Chris Spetzler says:

I’m in!

• Soyeb says:

Come on! Let’s make the world a better place…

• Joshua,

This is a wonderful initiative. As a practitioner in the business world, I fully support your efforts. Is there a meet up group around Washington, DC?

• Everyone is practicising emotional intelligence. Every day. There isn’t a Yes/No switch here.

But people aren’t getting help to re-inforce the good lessons and learn from the poorer ones. Nor the narrative to help them see how to do things better.

The Yes/No mindset isn’t helping. It smacks of arrogance – “I know, you don’t”, “I’m doing something right, you’re not”. It is the opposite of what emotional intelligence is trying to achieve, surely.

• Joshua Freedman says:

Hi Peter – our meaning with “practicing” is applying EQ intentionally, carefully, consistently. I know that I don’t do that every day, and that if I did, I would be better and do better.

• Labeeb.P.T says:

I am very happy to know this, it’s the beginning of a great change, i will do what i can… thank you very much for your valuable decision.

• Satinder says:

Great Vision! You have my support!

• Sandra van Winkelhof says:

I wholeheartedly support 1 billion people practising EQ; a clear vision and essential to our global problem solving, and futures.
    I look forward to hearing how I can contribute to this in early 2014.

• dory says:

Emotional intelligence really is what the world needs now, not just intelligence in Mathematics, English, Science, and other areas of multiple intelligence.
    Emotional intelligence supersedes other forms of intelligence, and study about this emotional intelligence would be very interesting and worthwhile.
    I tried to introduce this emotional intelligence to my students in Behavioral statistics.
    They surfed the internet and found Emotional intelligence scale in the internet and did some descriptive and inferential statistics about the data.
    I would be very happy to share what my students have found out.
    Thank you very much Josh. Hope I can attend and participate in the various conferences so that I can learn more about emotional intelligence.

All the best in this noble endeavor.

• Andrey says:

Dear Joshua

That you tell all – perfectly. And I with all the heart accept your initiative. In Russia where I live and I work, it doubly a vital topic. Ours command CrowdIntell uphold your movement to the best world. We too work over increase of level of the emotional competence of people. When I was this summer in the USA, I have paid attention to that as Americans to all are attentive. In Russia people are loyal and attentive to relatives and friends basically. This consequence of our history. The problem of development of empathy is very important for us.
    I and my colleagues from CrowdIntell are very glad to join your project and we hope that a little from 1 billion will be from Russia.

Best regards from me and my partners,
    Andrey Kotin

• rutepereirasilva says:

In! I am currently putting to practice team emotional inteligence in Portugal.
    Best regards to all the EQ researchers, supporters and practicioners out there.
    Rute

• Tim says:

Josh, GR8 vision, just like the seed which has potential to multiply beyond count, six seconds will experience the reality of reaching the 1 billion goal. Thank you for connecting us to this Noble Purpose.

• I would be interested in learning more and to spread the word. Currently, I teach the basics of SEI to college freshmen, reaching 400 students a year. I want to do more.

• Ann says:

I join you in this endeavour. I think this goal connects perfectly with our plan to continue to deliver EQ work here in UK.

• Natalie Lau says:

The world would be a better place if 1 billion people were practicing the skills of emotional intelligence. I like it! Love to advocate it in East Bay!

• Coralia says:

I am in. I have always dream with the idea of creating a free universal school in which children from very young age are thought all subjects — harmoniously integrated with emotional intelligence in a non traditional school setting that only every day life perfect opportunity provides.

• Jayne says:

Yes, we can make the world a more joyful place.

• I’m in!! In fact, I’ve been in ever since the wonderful and inspiring EQ cert week in London back in July.. A fantastic week, with fantastic people. I’m with Josh when he says ““practicing” is applying EQ intentionally, carefully, consistently. I know that I don’t do that every day, and that if I did, I would be better and do better”! That’s me all over.. The more of us out there actually practicing EQ the better we’ll all get! If anyone is interested in network opportunities or simply getting together to share ideas to help make that billion really count, and are in the London area, please reach out to me!

• Yes all support to make it happen…

• Geoff Erasmus says:

Great initiative and vision! The challenge that we have in our corner of the world is that many junior school teachers do not have, care or know about EI; and I’m talking about private schools! Not many parents do either. So, the EI development of our own child is happening in isolation at home; not being extended to the school environment. On the one hand then, we view the school environment as a space to practice EI, but on the other, it is a bruising environment that can scar for life. I look forward to learn more about how to deal with this challenge.

• Deepak Pathak says:

Yes.Joshua, Emotional Intelligence helps me everyday’s life.It will help everybody across the globe in years to come.

• Gates Cooney says:

I’m in also. Just yesterday, I asked the organization through which I am accredited to deliver emotional intelligence if they would support me in delivering “free” EI courses to groups who could benefit: e.g. abused women,alcohol addictions, etc. 1 billion, I love it!

• dianaglad says:

I work at a high school in Argentina and I see every day that students’ poor academic performance is tied in with emotional problems, in particular, low EQ, which, if not addressed, will end up worsening the already fragile stituation of students. I am therefore extremely interested in participating in this initiative.

• Joan Gugerty says:

I work with kids in an after-school program in the inner city and the lack of emotional support that I witness in the lives of these kids is distressing. I would love to be able to teach the value of emotional intelligence to them and their teachers. I want to be part of any initiative that helps students understand and experience their own value, builds confidence and trust in the students and motivates them to learn. I’m in!

• Dr. Susan Stillman says:

Hi Joan: Welcome to this effort! We have some exciting opportunities to both teach and learn EQ coming up. We are offering a free/low cost six session virtual course — an introduction to SEL. In March, we are also holding a 24/7 virtual EQ Week festival, with many sessions devoted to education. Please watch the website for details. I’d be happy to speak further too, so let me know if you’d like to connect.

• Maria Eugenia Jerezano Silis says:

I will do my best to follow the group, it is a wonderful proyect, let´s make it happen for a better world. This means too much for human relations as well as in education.

• As an editor of a self improvement magazine in Karachi, Pakistan, I am really interested in EQ, and I have also contacted with your partner conmpany in UAE for EQ training. How can I join this network? I also want to publish your articles in Monthly Kamyaby Digest, Karachi, Pakistan. You can visit me on http://www.kamyaby.org. I have a vision to make awareness of EQ in 60.3% active population of Pakistan. I hope, you will support me in this regard.

• I think this is a visionary goal that I whole heartedly support and would like to be a part of. As a Psychotherapist and Inventor I’m playing my part by creating a process that I hope will be of interest to the EQ Community. I have developed a Social Emotional Learning environment housed in a Journal format on a Website. The site is developed to be approachable to younger people, but the Emotional Diagraming process could be helpful for anyone. I hope you will check out http://www.emosocial.com, take the Tour, create some EmoGrams and let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
    ~Scott Thomas Peterson, LCSW
    scott@emosocial.com

• Ellen Connors says:

Emotions provide us with information that shape/guide our thinking and actions every second of every day! Emotions are the underpinnings of our experiences whereby we interpret our world through connections, patterns and relationships.
    Every journey begins with a single step. For me, that single step was to enhance my emotional literacy…recognizing, understanding and reacting to my feelings to live with greater clarity and purpose.
    I am proud to be part of this endeavor to create a world where current and future generations will enjoy more meaningful lives!

• R. Leckey Harrison says:

We at Whidbey CareNet would be glad to join as members of 6 Seconds. Our goal is to reach the two million emergency responders in the US. At least to start with.

• Rohan Bandara says:

Me too. I am in

• I am very happy to know this. Thank You very much for this decision.

• kashfi says:

Great!!! How can one join u as director or connector champion? i really wish to make use of SEL s for high school teachers.